Student Access and Disability Services

Requesting Auxiliary Aids and Services

The following procedure is to be used by University departments and organizations when requesting auxiliary aids and services, such as sign language interpreters, real time captioning and assistive listening devices as an accommodation for University-sponsored events and services of a non-academic nature for faculty, staff, students, and members of the public who are deaf or hard of hearing.  This procedure was developed in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which has set forth guidelines to ensure that programs, services, and activities are accessible to individuals with disabilities.

University-sponsored events and services include, but are not limited to, sponsored student organizations, as defined by the Center for Student Involvement, performing arts venues, athletics, residence halls, as well as departmental events and services such as medical or clinical services.

When a request for auxiliary aids and services is made to the department or organization hosting the event, the Disability Services Office should be contacted with the following information: date and time of event, location of event, type of event, duration of event, contact name and phone number for the department or organization requesting services.  Upon receipt of this information, the Disability Services Office will provide the department/organization with the information needed to procure the auxiliary aids and services used by the University.

In compliance with the regulations set forth by the Missouri Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Truman State University will utilize only those interpreters that are licensed by the State of Missouri and certified by the Missouri Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at an Intermediate (3), Advanced (4), or Comprehensive (5) level.

Scheduling, funding and payment for auxiliary aids and services are the responsibility of the department or organization sponsoring the event or service.

It is recommended that each department give five business days’ notice at a minimum, more when possible, as interpreters are often, if not always, located out of the area, to ensure that quality services can be provided.  However, any requests from a performing arts venue should be made at least one week prior (if not sooner) to the performance in order to provide adequate preparation time for the interpreter(s) or to provide other appropriate auxiliary aids and services, as the case may be.  It is recommended that all event publicity include the following suggested wording for accommodation requests: To request an accommodation due to a disability, please contact [hosting department/organization] at least five business days/one week in advance. 

Although the campus entity notified will make every attempt to secure auxiliary aids and services, including interpreters for such a request, there is no guarantee of service provision if the request is made by the attendee less than five (5) business days in advance.

The type of auxiliary aid or service necessary to ensure effective communication will vary in accordance with the method of communication used by the individual; the nature, length, and complexity of the communication involved; and the context in which the communication is taking place.

The determination of what type of auxiliary aid and service to provide for effective communication must be based on an individualized, case-by-case basis.

The University shall give primary consideration to the requests of individuals with disabilities when determining what type of auxiliary aid and service is necessary.

In order to be effective, auxiliary aids and services must be provided:

  1. In accessible formats, and
  2. In a timely manner, and
  3. In such a way as to protect the privacy and independence of the individual with a disability.

The University has an affirmative obligation to provide effective communication under Title II, whether or not a student or parent requests specific auxiliary aids and services.

The Disability Services Office is responsible for arranging and funding auxiliary aids and services for Truman State University students who are deaf or hard of hearing for situations in which academic credit is received, such as in the classroom or classroom auxiliary aids, through accommodations applied for through the Office for Student Access and Disability Services.  University employees with a disability who require accommodations for employment should contact the Human Resources Office for assistance.