Applying for Services

The Office of Student Access and Disabilities (OSA) works with each student on an individual basis to find the services and accommodations appropriate for the student at a post-secondary level. To determine if a specific accommodation is appropriate, you must go through the process. All requests for accommodation should be consistent with the individual student’s Academic Advisory Plan.

When to Apply for Disability Services

To insure that your request for disability services is processed and approved in a timely manner, it is important to apply for services as soon as possible as accommodations cannot be retroactive. You are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Access and Disabilities during the admissions process—the best way to contact the OSA is through email.

Application Process

The Office of Student Access and Disabilities will require appropriate documentation of your disability from an appropriate professional. The amount and type of documentation will vary depending on both the nature of your disability and the accommodation or accommodations you are requesting. You might also be required to sign a Release of Confidential Information form so that the OSA can obtain records as deemed necessary by both you and the OSA. All information submitted to the Office of Student Access and Disabilities is held in the strictest confidence. When you have the necessary documentation please also complete:  Client Information Form and Application.  

Please keep in mind approval for accommodations through OSA for accommodations in classes at Truman State University may not qualify you for accommodations on tests for graduate school such as the GRE, LSAT, MCAT, etc.  Please ensure you check their documentation requirements early to be as prepared as possible, as they can be much more stringent.

General Documentation Guidelines

Here are some general guidelines for the amount and type of documentation that the Disability Services Office will require. The diagnosing professional may provide suggestions for appropriate accommodations in an academic setting if they would like to be taken into consideration.

Although many diagnoses are considered life-long, the impact they have on current functioning may change over time.  Therefore, documentation needs to reflect the current status of the individual’s functional limitations, severity, and explain the nexus between disability and accommodations requested.  A diagnosis does not necessarily equate to a disability (specifics concerning functional limitations and how they substantially limit one or more of the major life activities.). *It is paramount to have current documentation that reflects statement of disability, current functioning, and functional limitations.

Other Housing Accommodations

  • Purple Paw Print Waterless Tattoo - Tattoos Ship in 24 Hours!Emotional Support Animals
    • This has to be renewed with new documentation YEARLY, as this is a housing request, all housing accommodations are renewed each school year
  • Investigating a Snowflake - YouCubedAir Conditioning
    • Documentation on physician letterhead signed by the physician, includes your NAME, DOB, and lists DISABILITY (diagnosis may also be included) that require the necessity of air conditioning.

Housing-Only Requests

If you have a housing-only request for one of the conditions listed above, please see documentation requirements above and compete the necessary paperwork as described AND fill out the Client Information Form and Application (i.e., de-lofted bed for mobility issues, mobility impairment-requires handicapped accessible room, etc.).

Related Links:

Academic Accommodations Plan

Individual Education Plan

US Department of Education/Office for Civil Rights Frequently Asked Questions:

7. In general, what kind of documentation is necessary for students with disabilities to receive academic adjustments from institutions of postsecondary education?

Institutions may set their own requirements for documentation so long as they are reasonable and comply with Section 504 and Title II. It is not uncommon for documentation standards to vary from institution to institution; thus, students with disabilities should research documentation standards at those institutions that interest them. A student must provide documentation, upon request, that he or she has a disability, that is, an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity12 and that supports the need for an academic adjustment. The documentation should identify how a student’s ability to function is limited as a result of her or his disability. The primary purpose of the documentation is to establish a disability in order to help the institution work interactively with the student to identify appropriate services. The focus should be on whether the information adequately documents the existence of a current disability and need for an academic adjustment.